Monday, August 9, 2010

GET ACQUAINTED WITH: High-Heeled Foot in the Door

I mentioned last week that I would be featuring some of the fantastic bloggers I had the pleasure of meeting at the Martha Stewart Bloggers' Night Out party and during the BlogHer Conference and I'm going to kick things off today.

I've been reading High-Heeled Foot in the Door for a while now so I was overjoyed when I met Camila, the lovely lady behind the blog, at Martha's bash.  She's starting her own interior design business and her site is filled with a mix of terrific posts all topped off with a big dose of Camila's humor and charm.  Some of my favorite features are Decorator's Handbook, which provides great tips on topics like how to determine how long your window treatments should be and how to pick paint, Open House, which takes you inside readers' homes (I adore this one on Julie W.), In Her Shoes, where you get to live a day-in-the-life of other bloggers, Blog Crush, which introduces you to amazing blogs you'll want to add to your reading list (I now have a huge crush on Mrs. Lilien, thanks to Camila!), and Before and Afters which as you can probably guess shows you how Camila and her handy hubby transform things from stale to stylish.  Check out this tired dining set before they got their hands on it:


And after:


Impressive, right?

When I introduced myself to Camila, I gushed about a post I'd just read on High-Heeled Foot in the Door and I'm so excited that she's letting me share it with all of you.

With Gabrielle and Alaina turning two in a little more than a month, their days of sleeping in cribs are probably numbered.  While I'm scared silly at the thought of the dynamic duo being able to roam freely around their room, I am looking forward to getting them beds along with adorable upholstered headboards.  I *love* upholstered headboards and have about 1,000 of them bookmarked as inspiration for the day we put together their "big girl" room.  So when I saw Camila's Tufted Headboard tutorial, it was right up my alley.  How fabulous is this?


Take a closer look - the combination of the pattern on the yellow fabric with the polka dots on the buttons is perfection.


And you'll never ever guess what this headboard was before Camila converted it!  Here's a little hint:


Look familiar?  That's right - it's a crib rail!  Camila and her husband picked it up off the curb in NYC and planned to use it as a trellis in their garden but when they needed something to re-purpose for the headboard, they grabbed it.  It's such a great idea and one I never would have thought of on my own.

And that's not the only great tip you'll get from this tutorial - instead of using foam batting as the "filling" for the headboard (it can be pricey and hard to work with), Camila used egg crate mattress pads.  Easy and inexpensive - so genius! 

You only need six things to complete this entire project and if you don't tuft the headboard, you'll just need four.  It doesn't get much simpler than that.


Now I know what I'll be doing with Gabrielle & Alaina's cribs when they outgrow them!

Get the full Baby Crib = Tufted Headboard How To HERE and be sure to check out the other fun features on High-Heeled Foot in the Door.  I can assure you that Camila is just as delightful in person as she seems on her blog!     

Images: High-Heeled Foot in the Door
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

  1. what a great idea! darn and i got rid of a broken crib too shucks. and i love that table and chair set

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I am in the same boat with Lauren as she is turning 2 this week and I am scarred of the bed change and the potty training!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!